Saturday, August 3, 2013

Style Cure: Day 2



Day 2: Go on a style treasure hunt

Well, this didn't go so well for me. I am terrible at window shopping. I have a tendency to see what I like, decide that I want to buy it, and I buy it. I'm not good at mulling things over or thinking about it over the weekend or "saving money" to buy things.

But, I tried.  Brian and I went into Uptown Westerville and looked in a couple of shops.  I fell in love with this long media table at Amish Originals, and I managed to take a picture of a lamp there too.  Brian and I did get the chance to talk about what we liked, and we realized we like wood furniture that's not too dark, and we're willing to spend more money on pieces that are well-made and will last for years. (This is a big deal, trust me.)

Then we went into Cinda Lou, and I found these dishes, and I absolutely fell in love.  Aaaaand I bought them. >_>  I read on the internet after I got home that this was estimated to be the most popular dish pattern in the country in 1957.  So basically it's perfect.  They're blue and brown and it's not a complete set but you can buy pieces online so I can get a complete set and I am just in love with it.

So that ended the actual window shopping portion of our day, wherein we liked one expensive thing that we didn't buy but probably will soon, and we liked another much less expensive thing that we did buy.  I am so bad at this!

Well, I suppose the point was to narrow down what I like.  And I spent some time in the Ikea catalog today and I think I have a pretty good idea, maybe.

- I like wing-back chairs
- I like color, especially blue.  I don't particularly care for red or yellow but I'm coming around to muted orange.
- I don't super like the country feel, but I definitely don't like modern either.  The only way I can describe it is "solid and comfortable".
- I like vintage, but not 70's.  Early 60's and before, but not too overboard.
- I like plants.  I want plants in our house. (But caaaaats.)
- I don't like clean, white, Scandinavian. I need the white to be broken up with color.

So there.  I succeeded even though I failed. =P

1 comment:

  1. oh my gossssshhhh, those mugs with the birds on them!! i die. they are too presh!!! good buy, Bethany!!

    ReplyDelete