Thursday, August 1, 2013

Style Cure: Day 1

My fledgling gallery wall, plus one unimpressed cat


Last time I did an Apartment Therapy Cure, I tried to blog it.  I ended up failing towards the end, but I shall try again!  If I write about it, I'm more accountable about it, which increases the odds of me actually finishing it.

Day 1: Complete the Style Cure interview

This Cure is going to be harder, because as bad as I am at organizing and cleaning, I'm even worse at decorating.

I've always felt like I have no particular sense of style, and I didn't grow up in a decorated home, so I didn't learn as I grew up.  Our apartment growing up had white walls without much on them.  There were a few pictures or art of some kind here and there, but not much, and there wasn't anything in the house that was just there to make things look nice.  (There might have been at one point, but then we kids probably broke it.  Like my grandfather's clock.  We were dancing, okay?)

Feeling like I don't have an innate knowledge of how to make things look nice made me leery about trying this, but I can't give up if I haven't begun, so let's get to it.

My answers to the interview are below the cut, in case you're interested.   What I got from it is this:

- I like actors, writers, movies, and TV shows that are funny and clever, and I've clearly been focusing on female writers more than male ones.
- I have a distinct bias towards British actors and cars.  I feel like this leads back to the enjoyment of things that are clever. 
 - I like things that are comfortable more than I like things that are beautiful.
- I like things that are vintage, either in actuality or just appear to be so.
- I'm really hungry. (Seriously, it's lunch time.)

So, whatever I do, it has to be comfortable and functional.  Having a really nice looking end table is all well and good, but if you can't find a pen or scissors or the remote when you need it, then there's no point.  I've found in the past when I try to organize especially that it all ends up getting undone because we leave out the things we use most often.  Putting them back becomes too much of a hassle.

Hm, it would appear that this interview was more helpful than I thought it'd be.  Bring on Day 2!




Style Interview:

1.  List your favorites:

Actor - Hugh Grant (I KNOW OKAY), Jason Segal, Jason Dohring, Michael Vartan (holy leftover from high school, Batman!), David Tennant, Chris O'Dowd
Actress - Nina Dobrev, Kerry Washington, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Jennifer Lawrence
Artist - Roy Lichtenstein
Writer - Tina Fey, Mindy Kaling, Seth Meyers, Chris O'Dowd, Kristen Wiig (oh, you meant books? Never mind...)
Music - Buddy Holly, Top 40, "International", some indie stuff.  Basically it has to have a beat and move.
Restaurant - Melting Pot, Chino Bandito, Chompie's.  (Great, now I want Jewish Sliders even more than I did before...)
Automobile - Mini Cooper, VW Beetle, Chevy Volt
Movie or TV Show - Vampire Diaries, Veronica Mars, Pitch Perfect
Clothing - Puma Shoes and Coach bags.  Anything else has to be comfortable and affordable. I'm not particular.
Furniture - IKEA, West Elm, CB2

2.  Three words to describe your personal style: Comfortable, Lazy, Predictable

3.  Think back at the homes you've lived in.  Which rooms are your favorites? 

- Childhood home:  My parents room amazed me because it not only had a dresser and a bed, but there was a CHAIR in it.  I didn't particularly like or love any other room.
- Adult home: I suppose the Sunbury apartment is my favorite, although it had its problems.  I liked the wood floors and how old everything was, and I liked the kitchen.  I also liked the Hub, because my bottles were on the door frames.

4.  Whom do you consider a role model?  My friends.  What three adjectives describe them? Funny, honest, and smart.

5. Which three spots or things in your home do you feel are beautiful/do you feel proud of?

- Our new bedside lamps make me happy to be in our bedroom.
- My fledgling gallery wall in the dining room makes the downstairs feel more complete.
- The landing strip by the front door has pictures, flowers, and is usually kind of organized.

6. A month from now, how would you like your friends to describe your home? 

Comfortable, Cozy, Lovely

No comments:

Post a Comment