Tuesday, April 16, 2013

You are not the center of the universe.

Normally I'm not telling anyone anything of any real importance, but when I actually am saying something that you'll need to know, pay attention for cripe's sake.

I'm complaining about my job here.  Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Human Resources, and I really like where I work. (Although, would it kill someone to give me a real desk and not a small temporary one? It's been a year and a half.)  But I'm starting to feel the frustration and annoyance that comes with people not paying attention when I'm giving them information that's relevant to them.

There are two new hires that I did orientation for a while back.   Now, our orientations are no big thing.  Literally it's me sitting at a desk going over some packets with them, having them fill out some paperwork, set up their email address, and send them on their way.  But for my employees at the farther away stores, I'm sometimes driving almost an hour to do this little spiel for them on their first day, not to mention the fifteen minutes I spend standing in front of the copier making ONE of these stupid packets for them. (Fifteen minutes isn't a long time, but when you're making 20 packets at a time...)

So both of these guys, they were in sales.  Automotive sales, if that gives you any indication of how lovely they are to be around.  (Side note: I genuinely love a lot of my sales guys, but seriously, you have to have a certain personality to be in car sales, and there are extremes to every personality.  These guys are that extreme.)  I did these two orientations months apart, but I'm conflating them for ease of story.  The one spends most of the orientation leaning back in his chair, staring at the ceiling.  His chair isn't even facing the desk, it's parallel to it.  I wanted to freaking reach over and knock him over.  I told him to type something as part of an account I was setting up for him, and he reached over and punched some keys without looking at the screen.  "Nope, try again, YOU DIDN'T EVEN TYPE ANYTHING."

The other guy spent the entire time either staring at me like I was a moron or looking behind him at the sales floor like a dragon was going to fly out of a Cruze and start destroying things.  I seriously sometimes still wonder if he was on drugs or something.  As soon as I said I was done, he bolted out of the chair and disappeared.  I mean seriously, right?

Anyway, the point is that these two represent one of the Things I Hate Most About HR.  I was telling these guys when their checks would start being direct deposited, when they'd be eligible for insurance, HOW MUCH MONEY THEY'D BE MAKING, etc.  Shit that directly affects them.  (I mean, how can you not pay attention to how much your paycheck is and whether or not it's going to be live?)  They weren't even listening.  I know this because one shredded his first check because he's fucking stupid and didn't listen when I said he would get a live check for two pay cycles, causing me to have to cut him another one.  The other one missed two mandatory insurance meetings and took a month to get his paperwork back to me.

So they're dumb, and they cause me a lot of extra work.  Whatever, I'll get over it.  What I seem to be having trouble getting over (and what was originally the point of this) is that THEY DON'T CARE.  It drives me absolutely bonkers when people aren't cognizant of the problems they create for those around them.

- You start a new job, then leave a week later for a different one?  You just wasted over an hour of my time.  You decide to come back a week later because that dealership sucks?  FUCK YOU Oh wait here I'll set you back up ANOTHER HOUR GONE.

- You're trying to find a particular coupon while at the grocery store, and you're not really paying attention and you stop in the middle of an aisle?  I'M RIGHT BEHIND YOU TRYING TO GET SOME DAMN PEANUT BUTTER THESE AISLES ARE NARROW THANKS.

- You realize you need to turn left and not right?  Oh sure just stop your car while you wait for someone to let you cut across four lanes of traffic. No one behind you needs to go anywhere anyway.

It's just...I don't even know any more.  This became some long weird rant and I've lost the point, except that people piss me off and it pisses me off that they don't know I'm pissed off and I can't tell them I'm pissed off because damn it I try to be polite.

No comments:

Post a Comment